syl • van

syl • van : of, relating to, or characteristic of the woods or forest

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Roundabouts: an exercise in decision-making


I love navigating country roads in Europe thanks to Europe's directional road signs. For example, when you come upon a roundabout, cities of note are listed with an arrow pointing to the corresponding exit. It's common knowledge that the larger towns listed in the roundabouts are not necessarily the first ones down the road. They may not even be your final destination. They are simply in the direction that you will be headed. You won't get lost, as long as you know your destination.

So, last Sunday I'm sitting in church, the service has already started, and a man who looks like Ricardo sits down on my right with one person between us. I keep glancing over at him out of the corner of my eye. Is he noticing me? Does he have a ring on his finger? On my left is a non-descript middle-aged couple (that is, they are perhaps 10 years more middle-aged than I am...), and the gentleman keeps glancing at me, kindly. Do I need a piece of gum? Am I singing too loudly? Do they need more space? Then there is the preacher whose sermon is calling us to disciple younger believers. It is a call that has long been growing in my own heart. What is the road to fulfill that calling?

The sermon is coming to a close, and I'm circling in my roundabout. Ricardo? The unknown couple? The sermon action point? Stay the present course?
  1. The unknown couple to my left immediately turns to introduce themselves. She's involved with discipling Christian speech students. She writes down my e-mail address to send me more information.
  2. I turn around, Ricardo has disappeared....
  3. I turn toward the big screen that lists the web site on disciple-making and memorize it.
  4. My present course: Children's Sunday School.
A few days pass. I've not heard from my new speech friend, and the web site on disciple-making does not offer any defining information. I'm circling the roundabout, considering my options:
  1. The unknown couple's invitation: I am capable, interested, and willing. Perhaps this is my next destination? Maybe. I'd either have to find the woman or wait for her to contact me in the future.
  2. If Ricardo and I were to marry, would we adopt children to disciple together? Maybe. Umm, where's Ricardo...?
  3. My heart rises up to encourage Christian single women in their walk with God. Perhaps the formal spring board offered at church would be a good place to start? Maybe. I'd have to investigate further.
  4. My present course. Hmm, let's circle the roundabout again and reflect on what is down this road: 
  • I have beautiful children with listening ears who are waiting for me in Sunday School. I can continue focusing prayer and energy into helping them internalize what they are learning about God.
  • I have young single gals in my small group who respond readily to building a relationship. I can invite them over for lunch again this Sunday. 
  • I have friends and family with whom I am Global Partners. I can continue focusing prayer and energy into encouraging them in their walk with God.
  • I myself am conducting due diligence regarding a career change, and it is very time-consuming at the moment. So far I sense God's leading in this. Interestingly, this change would provide learning opportunities that would support discipling.
While you may continue circling in the roundabout, at some point you really should choose an exit. I can see that my present course provides ready opportunities for disciple-making and is adequately full. I have no need to change direction. I will stay the course.

In the countryside, you can follow an exit to a little town and there find a road leading to a town you skirted earlier in order to get to the one you're in now. Some days, you can go exploring. Other days, you need to stay the course. One thing is certain: You can't stall out in the roundabouts. To reach your destination, you have to make a decision.

No comments: